The cash investments of superannuation funds have come under particular scrutiny in recent years and Rice Warner has been active in reviewing and improving these arrangements for superannuation trustees. We do this by combining specific technical knowledge of the optimal cash management structures for superannuation funds and platform providers with our broad tender experience and robust tender and benchmarking processes. Our experience includes benchmarking, no names RFIs and full market tenders, and has been applied to extract full value from both third party and related party cash providers
Strategic advice and product solutions
Solutions for future competitive advantage.
Some recent examples of our work includes:
- Remediation of unit pricing error involving $85 million across 120,000 accounts. We managed the programme, co-ordinated relevant advisers and service providers, and facilitated agreement on calculation methods and operational issues. After four months the remediation approach was fully resolved and implemented for all continuing members with processes put in place to finalise payments to exited members. Management were able to refocus on their normal responsibilities, and the exercise was completed with no media coverage, no complaints from members and large numbers of members complimenting the fund on its approach. The custodian reimbursed all costs, agreed improvements to the servicing model and continues to be the fund’s custodian.
- Second opinion on proposed approaches to remediating several unit pricing errors, leading to removal of complications which had little impact on members but would have been expensive to implement and were not required. This reduced the costs of resolving the problem by approximately 60%.
- Independent report on recommended resolution of a long-running defined benefit dispute, leading to all the issues bar one being resolved in line with Rice Warner’s report recommendations and the parties effectively “splitting the difference” on the remaining issue to finalise the matter.
- Expert report on apportionment of financial responsibility for losses due to frauds by a former employee of a large group, in a dispute that was before the Federal Court. This led to the liabilities being settled before trial to the satisfaction of all parties.
Expert assistance in relation to insurance remediation calculations. We have developed a methodology and model to undertake calculations in relation to individuals who have incorrectly lost insurance.
Rice Warner has built a reputation for providing fact-based guidance to superannuation industry participants backed by informed opinion and thought leadership. Our unique insights, supported by our rich databases and research, help clients develop effective commercial and operational strategies.
As Actuaries, complex financial modelling is at the heart of what we do and supports much of our strategic and policy work. We have a variety of established models including:
- Demographic projections models for the superannuation, personal investments and group insurance markets.
- Models to project wealth, insurance and retirement savings for individuals using our calculation engine PHOEBE.
- Tailored models built to solve client specific problems across a variety of problems in super, insurance and wealth.
Rice Warner has developed a strong FinTech consulting capability, acquired over many years and many implementations in the financial advice arena.
Our FinTech Consulting Services include:
- Business and actuarial analysis, specification and software development on digital projects.
- Rice Warner system accreditation – actuarial testing and sign-off of digital solutions.
- System reviews and benchmarking (administration, financial planning, digital advice tools, loan calculators etc.)
- Consultation on projects to assist in the design of the advice workflows supporting goals-based advice.
- Cloud migration consultation and delivery services for assistance with planning and uplifting services and data storage to the cloud.
Our actuarial experience and PHOEBE API provide superannuation funds with benefit projections for individual members utilising either the ASIC Class Order or tailored projections using the superannuation funds’ own assumptions.
Rice Warner provides cost effective and compliant solutions to help superannuation funds deliver engaging and personalised projections relevant to meet their members’ unique needs.
Rice Warner’s extensive superannuants database and related research enables us to help benchmark superannuation funds, whether products, fees, investments, insurance, service operations or costs and expenses.
Rice Warner’s heritage is as a firm of consulting actuaries. Our superannuation actuarial services cover financial modelling, benefit projections, independent insurance in superannuation pricing review and investment analytics as well as prescribed actuarial work for defined benefit superannuation funds.
Rice Warner provides market leading decision support and advice tools to the Australian financial services market. We provide consulting services, modelling capabilities and development work on advice tools and calculators throughout the industry.
Our capabilities and tools cover the following markets:
- Superannuation and Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Savings, Debt and Budgeting
Our experience in the provision of financial tools, calculators and advice software provides us with the ability to offer our clients with peace of mind that their tools are:
- compliant with regulatory requirements.
Our actuarial accreditation service includes formal testing and actuarial sign off for financial tools & calculators and in-house spreadsheets or models.
Contact our team today to learn more about how Rice Warner can help.